SEO For a New Website/Blog : Time to play with Search Engines , so let's rock . Again here is Ifti ..... after posting an incredible post "The Game of SEO" , i am going to post another cool article about SEO. Actually this article will help both the experts and newbies to start a new website/blog and bring it to the peak point in search engines.Every one has his/her own views about SEO , but what i am sharing is my personal experienced tips. I am not here to impress any one , but honestly i am sharing some unique tips which may help you to grow your business , blog , and website hits.The thing is not only the result in search engines , you will also earn high amount of revenue if your website / blog has lot of visitors.Which means SEO is directly proportional to the revenue your blog / site generate.If you are starting a corporate site or eCommerce site ,or if you are totally new to SEO , you should check my 1st article 'the game of seo' mentioned above and surely the label SEO. Once by checking these articles you will not be beginner , and because it is always difficult to make changes to things once it is done ,then to implement it correctly from the scratch.Actually the articles i mentioned above to check includes all the basics of SEO i.e How to play with Anchor text , how should be your Content ? How you will use Image alt tags? And where you will use h1 tag , h2 tag etc ?Therefore , once you learned all these steps you can optimized your new blog / website very easily by implementing the techniques. In this article ,we will discuss all the SEO tips and tricks for starting a new website / blog .
SEO For a New Website/Blog
- First of all decide the platform / technology to use for your website i.e either go for Blogger or WordPress which are the two well known and friendly CMS in the world.I will suggest Blogger for newbies because it's very easy to play with it.And if you have some taste of Code and want something big to archive then say no to Blogger and run for WordPress.
- Design a website but Responsive ! Actually this is the era of iPhones , iPad , Tablets , and Smartphones , having a responsive website / blog will help your smartphones visitors to easily navigate through your blog and will love to stay there.So make sure the theme / template you are using is responsive.
- The third step is purchasing a domain name and hosting , now where to buy ? Where to trust ? That's great. I will prefer Namesilo via GoDaddy , actually Godaddy got viral in few years but now they are kicking their customers.I bought a domain from them , and they deleted my domain without any reason , and now they have listed it in their premium listings for 100$ , i will say WTH is that? Actually i am not compelling you to buy domain from Namesilo but i give you that advice now it's your choice where to trust!
- Buying a domain and having no idea about naming ? Well , Do keyword research first for the domain you are buying ! If your domain name is a specific keyword you want to rank , it will easily be ranked.
- Jump Back to the step two and come back here ! Done ? Okay .. Now after a cool responsive design focus on the navigational structure of your website .Actually this is the main thing the users will interact with your website / blog.Having a well organized navigation menu and clear categories names will help your visitors to navigate via your blog easily and once the visitors are happy the Google is Happy!
- After implementing all the above steps focus on sitemap.Actually sitemap is the collection of URLs for your blog / website in the form of xml file.The sitemap is extremely useful if the sites are new ones , it allows you to submit all the links of your site to Search engines for crawling.Now how to generate Sitemap? If you are on Blogger first submit your Blog to Webmaster tools after that go to http://ctrlq.org/blogger/ and type your Blog url and click on generate sitemap.Once Done Copy the xml part as shown in the below snapshot.
- Now After copying the xml part go to webmaster otools , and select your Blog . Now Click On Add sitemap as shown below and paste the xml part over there and hit submit sitemap as shown.Actually you can submit any site Sitemap to google webmaster just by entering the file name in the field (xml part goes here) like if you have a website sitemap (example.com/sitemap.xml) just add sitemap.xml in your google sitemap section that's it.
- It will give you a message of Pending , just wait for 12 hours and it will be live there. That's it!
- FOR WordPress use this Plugin http://yoast.com/WordPress/SEO , this plugin will help you in optimizing your Blog / Site SEO for sure.
- And if you are on any other CMS you can use www.web-site-map.com/ to generate your site sitemap.After generating this site will give you an xml file , just upload it to the root directory of your site. That's it.
- 301 and 302 Redirects ! Okay now what this sh*t is? Actually redirect means to forward an URL to another URL .There are two types of redirects 1) 301 Redirect - It is used for pages which has been moved permanently and 2)302 Redirect - this is for pages which are moved temporarily .Actually in these cases the search engines will replace the moved pages with the new ones . But if you have implemented the 302 redirect the search engine may not replace your site page Now how to Do that? At the Server Level (.htaccess file) by adding the following line :
Redirect 301 / OldPage http://www.yourdomain.com/newPage
- And If you are the WordPress CMS , just install the redirection Plugin and that's it.
- Another important Tip is removing 404 errors ! Now what 404 error is ? Actually whenever you remove a post / page from your website and visitor hit that page so he/she will found a new page , that the requested resource was not found on the server! These errors are very bad for the user experience on the website.These links are also bad for traffic and ranking . First of all we will learn where to find these 404 errors? Actually you will have to visit your site Google Webmaster tools and at the left side select CRAWL from the menu and then Crawl errors , there you will get all these links.Now How to fix these errors ? Well , i will say implement a 301 redirect from the Old Version of the page to the new version.All Bloggers just checkout my post "Replace Blogger 404 Page with beautiful Search box".
- URL (Uniform Resource Locator) , actually url plays an important role in indexing your site posts .It is shown just below the title tag in search engine ! Okay i got it , it's important now how to work with it? What should it look Like ? Well , Never exceed the length of URL from 3 words , some SEO experts are ranging it from 3-5 but i will say 3 or 4 words is the best option.Also never use extremely long URL , use the focused keywords in the URL , it will be better if it is unique.Use - (dashes) between words so it is treated as space between two words by the Search Engines.In the URL never use uppercases , always use lowercases. Take a look on the below Quoted URLs
The Good URLwww.example.com/pakistan-tourists-guide/pakistan-map/THE BAD URLwww.example.com/pakistan1/article.htmlwww.example.com/india1/post.php?id=24&title=abc
- The last and most important tip i am sharing is INTERNAL LINKING which is the key for ranging.Actually it is a type of hyperlink which improves visitors engagement on your website .Let suppose you are posting about Blogging and you have another post which is related to Blogging and you mentioned that link in your recent post that is called internal linking.Actually internal linking helps and navigate the search engines and humans to discovers your website easily.By visitors engagement number of pages per visit , time on site and conversions will increase which will decrease the bounce rate which is a positive effect in SEO for your site.
- From the above Structure you may have guessed what to DO ? Still nah ? Well , let me elaborate it , use specific keywords in the Anchor text . We Called it Rich Keyword Anchor text, but remember don't increase the density ! I mean don't start adding the same keyword in every post but with variation.Use Synonyms and replace the keywords with the new in each new anchor text.
So what's up ? Rome was not built in a day , of-course SEO is not the game of 2 or 3 days it is the 2nd name of wait and patience! Implement all the above Steps and you will see 100% results.Stay tuned for more fantastic posts about SEO , Happy Blogging!